A timeline of Brooke
Brooke's history at a glance. Since Dorothy Brooke established the Brooke Hospital for Animals in 1934, Brooke has led the way in providing help to working equines and their owners in the developing world. We now reach over 1.8 miliion working horses, donkeys and mules in 11 countries.
The early years - forging a tradition
- 1930 Dorothy Brooke arrives in Cairo, Egypt with her husband, a Major General in the British army.
- 1931 Dorothy Brooke writes a letter to The Morning Post to urge the British public to help relieve the suffering of thousands of ex-war horses she encounters in Cairo.
- 1934 The Brooke Hospital for animals is established in Egypt.
- 1938 The first shade shelter and water troughs are established in Cairo. First motorised ambulance starts to operate.
Decades of change - continuing care
- 1961 Alexandria clinic opens in Egypt
- 1966 Luxor clinic opens, Egypt
- 1984 The first best horse competition begins in Luxor
- 1988 Jordan clinic opens (Wadi Musa - Petra)
- 1988 Aswan clinic opens, Egypt
- 1991 Brooke expands into Pakistan
- 1992 Mobile teams begin operating in India
- 1992 Edfu clinic opens, Egypt
- 1994 Brooke Netherlands begins to raise money
- 2000 Mersa Matrouh clinic opens, Egypt
Today - reaching out
- 2001 Partnership programmes begin in Kenya
- 2002 Groundbreaking research programme begins with Bristol University Veterinary School
- 2003 Partnership programme begins in Afghanistan
- 2004 Brooke launches partnership programme in Guatemala
- 2005 Brooke carries out relief work with Mercy Corps, after the earthquake strikes in Pakistan
- 2005 Partnership programme established in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (Palestinian villages in Israel and the West Bank)
- 2006 Brooke expands into Ethiopia
- 2006 National Donkey Welfare Day is established in Kenya
- 2008 Partnership programme begins in Nepal
- 2008 American Friends of the Brooke is established
- 2010 Brooke expands into Senegal
- 2013 A pilot project begins in Nicaragua
- 2014 Voices from Women report published
- 2014 Brooke celebrates 80 years of helping working equines around the world
- 2015 Brooke opens new project in Mexico
- 2015 Brooke closes Jordan office and handover responsibility to the government
- 2015 Invisible workers report, linking workers with the livelihoods of people, published
- 2015 Brooke USA re-launched with support from the Brooke President, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge
- 2016 Brooke launches new five-year global strategy with a goal of making a lasting change to working horses, donkeys and mules in the most need across the world
- 2016 Brooke on track to achieve its goal of reaching two million working horses, donkeys and mules