Saving animals. Overcoming deep-rooted beliefs.
After trying everything at home to help her donkey, Greetaben was extremely worried about him when she called us. Dr Suthar’s examination of the donkey revealed that he was unable to drink and had a lumpiness around his neck.
It was clear to Dr Suthar that he was suffering from an esophageal choke, and he recommended Geetaben take him to the clinic at the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry in Anand.
Greetaben was unsure – she was worried the trip could prove to be expensive and take a long time. One of our Field Assistants offered to help her and explained that the clinic would have all the necessary tools and machines to better diagnose her donkey’s health problem. She also told her that the cost of the treatment would be small.
Greetaben agreed to take him to the clinic, and once there, Dr Prashant Dabi conducted an x-ray that showing the donkey was choking as a result of grains. A tube was inserted into his throat and within five minutes he was relieved of his suffering. Greetaben was then given transport home and the total cost for the treatment was INR 25. (0.29 GBP).
Following her visit, Greetaben is now confident about visiting the hospital by herself – what she believed to be a time-consuming and expensive before is now a simple way to make sure her donkey stays well.
Our team's effort in helping her was praised by the clinic staff – they said the team displayed the vigour to keep encouraging people to reach out to local service providers.